How to Apply for Department of Veterans Affairs Benefits for Veterans and Their Survivors (2023 Edition)
$89.00 | 498 pages | View the Table of Contents
Includes a Claims Support Flash Drive
The Senior Veterans Service Alliance is proud to announce publication of our 2023 "How to Apply" book edition. It is a welcome and needed resource for veterans of any age, their families, survivors, and for the professionals who assist them.
This new 2023 edition is the most important revision made since our first printing in 2014. All previous year's additions are now out of date.
This new book provides current information on VA Rules and detailed instructions on how to submit "Fully Developed Claims" to VA's Intake Centers.
Major Changes to Veterans Benefits from 2018-22:
- the new PACT ACT of 2022,
- new information about Agent Orange claims and Nehmer claims,
- new presumptive diseases and service locations and service dates for Agent Orange exposure,
- regulations pertaining to VA Pension and Survivor Pension (aid and attendance) - 36 month look-back, penalties for transferring assets, bright-line net-worth limit, and more...
- new rules pertaining to unfavorable decisions and appeals and how those are handled,
- new forms and important revisions of existing forms, and
- new rules pertaining to when fees can be legally be charged.
This new "How to Apply" book provides step-by-step instructions to make successful claims for:
- Non-service connected Veterans Pension and Survivor's (Death) Pension with Aid and Attendance or Housebound Allowances,
- Disability Compensation for disabilities incurred or aggravated during active military service (including Presumed Service-Connected, POW, Chronic Conditions, Ionizing Radiation, Agent Orange (3 new presumptive conditions), Disability Caused by Illness, Combat or Other Injury, Existing Conditions, Exposure to Hazards, Chemicals and Harmful Environmental Conditions, PTSD – Post-traumatic Stress Disorder, Noise Induced Hearing Loss with Tinnitus, PTIU – Permanent and Total Disability Due to Individual Unemployability, Gulf War Disorders, Reevaluation or Change for an Existing Benefit, Section 1151 Claim, Tropical Diseases, and more...)
- Special Monthly Compensation (SMC),
- Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC), a death benefit for survivors of veterans who died on active duty or as a result of service-connected disability or as a result of improper treatment from VA healthcare or rehabilitation services,
- Posthumous Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) for a veteran who was not on claim
- Disability Compensation, SMC, and DIC with Aid and Attendance or Housebound Allowances,
- Enrolling in the New Caregiver Support Program, Caregivers, including spouses, can be paid up to $2600 a month or more to provide care services,
- Burial and Accrued Benefits for Survivors
- Home Improvement Grants (HISA), and more...
This book also provides information on:
- 2023 Benefit Rates
- VA Intake Centers, Pension Management, and Regional Offices
- VA's new paperless claim system and how to overcome its limitations
- new rules pertaining to reviews and appeals with unfavorable decisions
- Veterans Health Care (information and enrolling)
- State Veterans Nursing Home's and other benefits
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Homeless Support,
- Handling Denial Letters, Submitting New/Material Information, and Making an Appeal
- Housing and Automobile Adaptation Grants,
- Loan Guarantee, Education Benefits, and more...
Claim Support Flash Drive included!
Flash Drive - Claim Forms (Pension, Compensation, Health Care, Burial, and more...), Decision Review Forms, Checklists (instructions for each type of claim), Intake Center Mailing/Faxing Information, 2023 Benefit Rates, Case Studies, Medical Examination Worksheets, Medical Questionnaires, Reference material to include Title 38 CFR Part 3, Title 38 CFR Part 4, Adjudication Manual M21-1, VA budget proposals and reports and other useful tables, studies and addenda, and the Rules Changes for Pension (Federal Register Publication for Net Worth, Asset Transfers, and Income Exclusions for Needs-Based Benefits).
Message from the Primary Author, Thomas Day
"There are scores of books available on veterans benefits. We have perused a number of them through purchase and many others through published tables of content and published excerpts and we believe that none of them contain the level of instructions on the complicated claim processes that we provide in this publication. Many of these other books describe how to qualify for the benefits and what the benefits are and then obliquely reference a few forms that can be obtained online. Others do go into more detail on what encompasses a successful claim but they do not provide step-by-step instructions. It is our opinion that none of these books would adequately assist you in filing a successful claim. We believe our book is totally unique in providing you the nuts and bolts, step-by-step instructions and strategies to file successful claims for the four disability income benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs."
CLE Courses to Maintain Your VA Accreditation
Are you looking for a CLE Course to maintain your Accreditation with the Department of Veterans Affairs?
For agents and attorneys already accredited with VA, we offer two approved 3 hour video courses to meet your initial first year CLE requirements or any additional three hours on veterans benefits law and procedures required every two years.
Learn More | Purchase a Course
- About Accreditation & Fees
- Accreditation Study Materials
- CLE to Maintain VA Accreditation
- Correcting Your Military Discharge
- Find Home Care / Assisted Living
- Find Hospice Care
- Find Medical Alert
- Help finding a LTC Facility
- Help with Care Management
- Help with Elder Law
- Help with Estate Planning
- Help with Disputes / Mediation
- Help with Financial Planning
- Help with Medicaid Planning
- Help with Tax Planning
- Informal Claims / Effective Dates
- Service Connected Disabilities
- State VA Nursing Homes
- VA Aid and Attendance Benefit
- VA Burial Benefits
- VA Healthcare System
- VA Help - Surviving Spouse
- VA Home Renovation Grants
- VA Long Term Care Benefits
- VA Pays Family for Eldercare
- VA Regional Offices
This section provides downloadable files of the most commonly used VA Forms for senior veterans seeking benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs. View the Forms...
Become a Member of the Senior Veterans Service Alliance
Become a member of the SVSA and help our organization support the needs of senior veterans who served their country in a time of need. Learn more about the benefits of membership.