Book: How to Apply for Department of Veterans Affairs Benefits for Veterans and Their Survivors
If you are looking for help applying for a VA Benefit for yourself or a loved one, consider purchasing our new book How to Apply for Department of Veterans Affairs Benefits for Veterans and Their Survivors (published in 2017).
This how to apply book is a welcome and needed resource for veterans and their families. It incorporates the newest claims procedures from the Department of Veterans Affairs along with detailed instructions on how to submit applications for over 25 different types of disability claims including Pension, Death Pension, DIC, Compensation, Burial Benefits, and others. More About the Book...
Various VA Forms and Applications in PDF Format
Below is a list of the most commonly used forms for senior veterans or their survivors seeking to apply for compensation or pension benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Not all of the forms would be necessary if applicable information is available from other sources or substantiating documents are available in another form.
VBA Form 21-527EZ -- Veteran’s Application for Pension
Veterans Pension is sometimes called the Aid and Attendance Benefit. Learn more about the complete claim process.
VBA Form 21-2680 -- Examination for Housebound Status or Permanent need for Regular Aid and Attendance (Completed by Claimant's Physician)
Care Provider Report (Completed by Claimant's Care Provider & used to provide evidence of recurring medical expenses)
Claimant's Certification of out-of-pocket costs for un-reimbursed medical expenses
IMPORTANT: When applying for Pension, the claimant(s) should supply the VA with an original copy of the veteran's discharge papers. VA also needs proof that the claimant(s) are actually paying for care; supplying the VA with receipts or invoices marked paid for un reimbursed care costs (e.g. home care or assisted living) will provide them with that proof. It is also useful for those applying for death pension to send a copy of their marriage certificate and a copy of the veteran's death certificate along with their application to VA.
These forms are often used for supplemental information or for purposes such as the EVR, application for HISA grants and other reporting requirements.
- VA Form 21-526b -- Change in Existing Compensation
- VA Form 10-10EZ - Application for Health Care
- VA Form 10-0103 - HISA Grant Application
- VA Form 21-527 Change in Income, Net Worth and Employment Statement for Pension
- VA Form 21-8049 Request for Details of Expenses
- VA Form 21-8416 Medical Expense Report (Typically used for EVR but can be used for original application)
- VA Form 21-0510 Eligibility Verification Report Instructions
- VA Form 21-0516 EVR Veteran with No Children
- VA Form 21-0517 EVR Veteran with Children
- VA Form 21-0518 EVR Surviving Spouse with No Children
- About Accreditation & Fees
- Accreditation News
- Appealing a bad VA Decision
- CLE to Maintain VA Accreditation
- Correcting Your Military Discharge
- Find Home Care / Assisted Living
- Find Hospice Care
- Help finding a LTC Facility
- Help with Care Management
- Help with Elder Law
- Help with Estate Planning
- Help with Disputes / Mediation
- Help with Financial Planning
- Help with Medicaid Planning
- Help with Tax Planning
- Informal Claims / Effective Dates
- Service Connected Disabilities
- State VA Nursing Homes
- VA Aid and Attendance Benefit
- VA Burial Benefits
- VA Healthcare System
- VA Help - Surviving Spouse
- VA Home Renovation Grants
- VA Long Term Care Benefits
- VA Pays Family for Eldercare
- VA Regional Offices